What role does "Purpose" play with the resilience levels of my team and me?
Our purpose helps us set our daily priorities and define our life passions. In our workplace it helps us to stay focused on the task at hand, keep the big picture clear and established, while managing the day to day challenges and change that we all face.
When we feel our purpose diminish it can start to have an affect on our mental and emotional wellbeing, as the stress of change and challenge starts to mount up. We may experience feelings of being overwhelmed and isolated from our teams and distracted from our daily work schedule.
The resilience of both the individual and the team is directly impacted by an ability to identify a clear purpose and maintain it, despite whatever change or challenge comes our way.
So we have 2 questions that need answering:
How do I maintain my purpose in the face of change or challenge?
- Take the time daily to find enough space to quietly set your expectations for yourself, others and situations that may arise.
- Acknowledge, "who I am" is different to the crisis or stress "I am facing". For example a project or task may have failed but that does not make me a failure.
- Look after your energy levels - it is difficult to be focused and full of drive when you are fatigued. Sleep, water exercise and a healthy diet.
How can I continue to grow my appreciation of the kaleidoscope of purpose amongst my team?
- Practice empathy - Often understanding a person's history helps you understand what drives their perspective and ultimately their purpose.
- Be quick to identify, respond and respect different peoples' personalities.
- Value other people's purpose - if appropriate ask people what are their priorities and passions that drive their purpose.
Written by Bulletproof People.